Monthly Archives: July 2012
“Innocent people, ear piercing screams and chaos, there is no where to turn..but to God”
Psalm 46:1 (KJV) ” God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble “.
I actually was one of the many that was at the premier for The Dark Knight thursday night, at the same time the horrific events were unfolding in Aurora Colorado. I found out via a movie goer about the shooting after the midnight show. I immediately looked it up and read the preliminary articles about this nightmare. A nightmare full of innocent movie goers and a mad man.
I started thinking about all the people around me, the smiling faces, outbursts of laughter, excitement in their faces ( mine included, being a dark knight fan ). And then it hit me, these were the same faces with all the same emotions that the movie goers at the Century 16 were wearing .. until some evil coward violently ripped all the fun and excitement from the bowels of their souls. The aftermath turning a family fun theatre into a nightmare so violent, you couldn’t even screen into a horror flick. My heart flushed and filled with pain as if it had been pierced with sharp knife, the sorrow i felt for the people connected to this massacre was overwhelming. I immediately prayed to God to give these people peace in a time of such mass confusion.
I remember taking a psychology classes in college and yesterday dove back into research mode about the profiles of people who commit such violent crimes. The bulk of the research that has studied the psychology and motivation of people who have committed this type of crime, defined as “mass killings” that take place usually in broad daylight or in a public place, where the victims are not specifically chosen and are generally strangers. Most ending in the gunman turning the weapon on himself.
As I researched these kind of heartless people i found according to a study of adolescent mass murderers (who killed over three people), they are most often white males (79%) with a median age of 17, and they have a history of reclusive behavior as opposed to violent behavior. The majority of them were reported to be people who kept to themselves, often focusing more on books, dreams, and brooding inside their inner worlds than real social connections with their fellow students, friends and families. The site i read this on said this study is based on multiple source data gathered about 27 incidents of this kind, between 1955 and 1999.
This type of mass murderers are grouped under the “pseudocommando” category. I learned pseudocommando refers to murderers who come to a public place, prepared with a full arsenal of weapons, and are generally moved by revenge fantasies, on account of feelings of powerlessness and humiliation.
It seemed that the shooter fell into several of the categories that us as the general public can read on various reporting websites. I don’t really want to know much about him other than how can we prevent future incidents, and how to help handle the events in our hearts that are still aching with sorrow.
Will we ever know the true meanings of why people do such horrible things? I am confident the answer is no. All we can do is try to educate ourselves on the make up of the majority of these kinds of evil people, and combat it with knowledge, but most importantly prayer and our faith in God. As any horrific event being covered in the media, it will slowly become a news story of the past, with the coverage going from every hour to none at all. I try to take situations like this and go to the bible for strength and answers to my questions, when I feel like they are none.
Of course the popular bible verses poped up first in my research such as 1. Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.”. And this is so true, he is there for us when we don’t even realize it. I love that verse and think of it when I am in a dangerous work situation, or somewhere that I feel alone or even scared. The more I looked at different verses, the more I kept going back to
Psalm 40:1-3 (NIV) “I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.”
Reading this verse, it gave me another perspective. God will touch many lives from this horrific incident, and who knows how many people will turn toward God, because he is always there. He will be there for these families and individually help them get through this time in their life. Heroic stories will start to come to life after the initial news gets information on all the events. You will read how people helped one another out of the theatre, how strangers held hands and prayed, how injured people were helped by people they were standing next to in the popcorn line. How officers transported victims themselves in patrol cars, when there was not enough ambulance services to provide help to all the injured. You will hear the stories of the victims that did not make it out… The students, the teachers, the military men and women. Mothers, fathers, daughters and sons that never got a chance to be with their loved ones again. But you will hear how they had touched peoples lives before theirs was so violently taken away. We will tear up in our eyes and see ow they will be remembered and loved, with their memories. We will pick up the pieces, policies and security measures will change, and the ripple effect will go on for months. After all is said and done, it will come back again to God and his unconditional love. The constant reminder to do the right things, trust in one another, pray daily and most importantly never overlook friendships of people you have contact with. When will our last day be here? No one knows the answer. So why do we live our lives so selfishly? I encourage you to pray for the families and reach out to help others around you. Tell your others what they mean to you, and live life to the fullest, remembering God is in control.
I also hope you will embrace positivity, show others we love them as a brother or sister in Christ. We never know what tommorrow will bring, or if tommorrow will ever come at all.
May God bless us all.
Alleged iPhone 5 photos are leaking out of China faster than our judicial system puts people on probation. These new iPhone 5 photos show what appears to be a detailed, but solid iPhone 5 sample or model likely used to test accessories or refine the manufacturing process, even though it is highly dependent on hand assembly. Are these real pictures? Did a leak get the right info? We will have to wait another month (August Rumor release date) to find out for sure, but let’s talk about the leak, and hope some of its true.
The leaked iPhone 5 photos show the taller iPhone 5 next to an iPhone 4S for size comparison, and include the now familiar two-part back design which may accommodate a metal back as part of an iPhone 5 design. A larger retina screen disply seems like a good possibility, with a redesign charging port, which for some reason upsets me beyond anything imaginable. This photo also shows the new iPhone may be thinner than the iPhone 4S, which is a no brainer….they had to! people want thinner and more light weight.
From the looks of different leak sites about the new iPhone, and the IPad mini, which is rumored to be revealed at same time as iPhone 5, we are in for some treats. The iPhone should have the following specs.
4-inch Retina Display aka larger screen (instead of current 3.5)
Slightly taller and slightly thinner, but the same width.
4G LTE connectivity
A Quad-Core processor, possibly the Apple A6 processor.
New smaller 19-pin dock connector
Partial metal back, which could play a part in a better antenna design.
A smoother edge, from the thinner frame
new IOS 6
I can’t leave out the all new IOS 6 rumored features that are suiting in themselves..
IOS 6 features
iOS 6 is going to be coming with over 200 features including a big update to the software’s virtual personal assistant, Siri. The virtual assistant, which as been out for 8 months. Siri has been loaded up with an ability to look at sports scores, something that has been rumored for quite some time. Apple even showed that Siri can let users know whether a basketball player is taller or shorter than the other. That’s how specific it can get. Users can check standings and even see when teams are playing. New sports features were a must! The personal assistant can also make restaurant reservations through OpenTable, it can bring up movie trailers, times and reviews using Rotten Tomatoes, and it can open applications when users ask it to.
Apple showed off Siri opening up Temple Run. Siri can now tweet to Twitter, using voice commands only, and help you with status updates! Apple has also partnered with several automobile manufacturers to offer Hands-Free Siri access when in the car. Siri also now features support for quite a few new languages. As expected, Siri will be coming to the iPad at some point in the future.
With iOS 5, Apple included Twitter integration. With iOS 6, Apple will be including deep Facebook integration that will allow users to post to Facebook, post photos to Facebook and pull up Facebook notifications in Notification Center. Facebook will also be integrated with Siri which means users will be able to use voice commands to update Facebook.
iOS 6 will also deliver a phone application where users can slide up to either reply to a phone call with a message or set up a reminder to call the person back later. Apple has also added a Do Not Disturb feature to iOS 6 which will allow users to easily silence their phone. The company has also included a long-awaited feature in FaceTime over 3G which will allow iOS users to make FaceTime calls when Wi-Fi is not available.
iOS 6 will add shared photo streams and users will now be able to quickly share photos with friends and family.
The software will bring VIP Inbox which will let users select important peoples emails whose emails will appear on the lock screen. Apple has also added a pull to refresh feature.
Apple has added PassBook which will let users store boarding passes for flights and movie tickets in the app. Specifically, Apple showed off United and Starbucks. Apple has also shown off its new Maps application, something that was heavily rumored ahead of WWDC 2012. Apple is adding the Maps application to iOS 6 and it will add important places of interest, 3D maps, Yelp integration, traffic service and turn by turn navigation. This means a good farewell to gps devices in car. Your iPhone will b your new gps!
Essentially, Apple has added everything that users have been clamoring for for quite some time now.
With 200 new features, which I have already discussed a few, let’s look at this great top 40 list.
1. FaceTime over 3G and 4G – Make FaceTime calls over cellular connections.
2. Facebook Integration – Share photos to Facebook from Photos app and Like Apps.
3. Calls – Slide to answer a call or slide up to reply with a message & remind you to call back later.
4. Passbook – Your digital wallet for loyalty cards, Amtrak, United, hotel reservations and more.
5. Lost Mode – Send a phone number to whoever found your lost iPhone to get a call.
6. Turn by Turn Directions – Voiceguided turn by turn directions with GPS on the iPhone
7. Open Apps with Siri – Siri can now open apps with your voice.
8. VIP Inbox – Tell Mail who your important contacts are so you never miss an email.
9. Siri – Check sports scores, movie times and make restaurant reservations.
Instant Sharing to Facebook and Twitter – Notification Center lets you share direct to Facebook and Twitter.
10. Better Sharing Menu – When Sharing, you’ll see a new icon driven sharing menu.
11. Autocorrection for Every Keyboard – Support for autocorrect while using external Bluetooth keyboards.
12. Location Based Reminders for iPad – The iPad will no support reminders based on location, may be limited to cellular models.
13. Manual Location Entry for Reminders – No longer need GPS to set a location reminder, 13. type in an address.
14. VoiceOver Improvements – Better accessibility features from VoiceOver for visually impaired users.
15. Personal Dictionary in the Cloud – sync personalized spellings and autocorrections of names across iPhone and iPad.
16. Do Not Disturb – Set the iPhone to prevent calls and notifications from waking you at night, but still allow special callers.
17. Per Account Signatures in Mail – One signature for work email, one for personal.
18. Game Center Challenges – Brag about your high score and issue challenges to friends.
19. Game Center Friends from Facebook – Pull your Facebook friends into games.
20. Manual Reorder of Reminders – Change the order of reminders to match your priorities.
21. Improved Privacy Controls – More granular control over your personal data. Turn location control off by app.
22. Custom Vibrations for Alerts – Already available in iOS 5, expect new features.
23. Features for China – Baidu, Sina Weibo, Tudou, Youku, Better text input, dictionary
24. Video stabilization : Stabilizes iPhone and iPad video, which are often shaky.
25. Shared Photostreams- Make and share albums in PhotoStream. Easily share the right photos with specific friends and family members in near real-time. Also includes comments and notifications.
26. App in Safari Search Results – See app store search results in the Safari search results.
27. Full Screen Landscape Support in Safari – See more of the web while browsing in landscape on the iPhone.
29. HDR Improvements – Better performance and results for HDR photo taking.
30. Made for iPhone Hearing Aids – Apple certified hearing aids that will work specifically with the iPhone and iPad.
31. Improved Accessibility Controls – Lock settings and lock the home button to keep kids out of settings they don’t need to touch.
32. French, German and Spanish Dictionaries – Multiple language dictionaries now in iOS 6.
33. Alarm with Song – Wake up with your favorite music in iOS 6.
34. Redesigned Stores – Better looking mobile stores with Coverflow.
35. In App Bluetooth Pairing – No longer need to leave the app to set up your Bluetooth headphones
36. Eyes Free – A new Siri button for Siri in-car integration with upcoming support for 37. BMW, GM, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar, Audi, Toyota, Chrysler and Honda
Location Based Alerts for Find My Friends- Get an alert when kids leave school
38. Safari Browser Syncing – Continue browsing sessions on the iPad after starting in your computer or the iPhone.
39. Maps- New maps with traffic and 3D flyover mode.
40. The IPhone 5 and iPad mini will be released!
iOS 6 will arrive this fall with the iPhone 5. The iOS 6 beta is available today for users willing to pay for a chance to try the latest Apple software.
iOS 6 will be coming to the iPhone 3GS and above for iPhone, iPad 2 and iPad 3, and the iPod touch 4th generation. It will be out sometime later this year, sometime between August and October. With all the new features, it seems to be a big hit and I personally can not wait!